當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英文經典故事 > 名著精讀《傲慢與偏見》第七章 第4節

名著精讀《傲慢與偏見》第七章 第4節

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.67W 次

"With the officers!" cried Lydia. "I wonder my aunt did not tell us of that."

名著精讀《傲慢與偏見》第七章 第4節

“上軍官們那兒去吃飯!”麗迪雅嚷道,“這件事怎麼姨媽沒告訴我們呢。”

"Dining out," said Mrs. Bennet, "that is very unlucky."

“上別人家去吃飯,”班納特太太說:“這真是晦氣。”

"Can I have the carriage?" said Jane.

“我可以乘着車子去嗎?”吉英部。

"No, my dear, you had better go on horseback, because it seems likely to rain; and then you must stay all night."

“不行,親愛的,你最好騎着馬去。天好象要下雨的樣子,下了雨你就可以在那兒過夜。”

"That would be a good scheme," said Elizabeth, "if you were sure that they would not offer to send her home."

“這倒是個好辦法,”伊麗莎白說。“只要你拿得準他們不會送她回來。”

"Oh! but the gentlemen will have Mr. Bingley's chaise to go to Meryton; and the Hursts have no horses to theirs."

“噢,彬格萊先生的馬車要送他的朋友到麥裏屯去,赫斯脫夫婦又是有車無馬。”

"I had much rather go in the coach."

“我倒還是願意乘着馬車去。”

"But, my dear, your father cannot spare the horses, I am sure. They are wanted in the farm, Mr. Bennet, are not they?"

“可是,乖孩子,我包管你爸爸勻不出拖車子的馬來。──農莊上正要馬用,我的好老爺,是不是?”

"They are wanted in the farm much oftener than I can get them."

“農莊上常常要馬用,可惜到我手裏的時候並不多。”

"But if you have got them to-day," said Elizabeth, "my mother's purpose will be answered."

伊麗莎白說:“可是,如果今天到得你的手裏,就如了媽媽的願了。”

She did at last extort from her father an acknowledgment that the horses were engaged. Jane was therefore obliged to go on horseback, and her mother attended her to the door with many cheerful prognostics of a bad day. Her hopes were answered; Jane had not been gone long before it rained hard. Her sisters were uneasy for her, but her mother was delighted. The rain continued the whole evening without intermission; Jane certainly could not come back.

她終於逼得父親不得不承認──那兒匹拉車子的馬已經有了別的用處。於是吉英只得騎着另外一匹馬去,母親送她到門口,高高興興地說了許多預祝天氣會變壞的話。她果真如願了;吉英走了不久,就下起大雨來。妹妹們都替她擔憂,只有她老人家反而高興。大雨整個黃昏沒有停住。吉英當然無法回來了。

eback n. 馬背 adv. 在馬背上地 adj. 在馬背上的,臆斷的

We continued up the mountain on horseback.
我們騎著馬繼續上山.

rt v. 勒索, 敲詐, 強要

Don't extort money from others.
勿強拿別人的錢。

nostic n.預兆

He regards the bad weather as a prognostic of failure.
他將壞天氣視爲失敗的預兆。

rmission n. 中止, 中斷, 停頓

During the intermission, let's go out for some fresh air.
幕間休息時, 我們出去呼吸呼吸新鮮空氣吧。