當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英文經典故事 > 雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第12章 Part 4

雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第12章 Part 4

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 3.05W 次

His endeavouring to hoist himself on to a very high window-seat, and his slipping down again, appeared to prepare Toots's mind for the reception of a discovery.

雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第12章 Part 4
保羅設法攀登到一個很高的靠窗子的座位上,但卻又從上面滑了下來;這件事情似乎使圖茨的心智開了竅,使他能夠發現一件事情。

'You're a very small chap;' said Mr Toots.

“您是個很小的傢伙,”圖茨先生說道。

'Yes, Sir, I'm small,' returned Paul. 'Thank you, Sir.'

“是的,先生,我很小,”保羅回答道。“謝謝您,先生。”

For Toots had lifted him into the seat, and done it kindly too.

因爲圖茨已把他舉到座位上,而且態度很親切地做了這件事。

'Who's your tailor?' inquired Toots, after looking at him for some Moments.

“您的衣服是誰做的?”圖茨向他看了一會兒之後,問道。

'It's a woman that has made my clothes as yet,' said Paul. 'My sister's dressmaker.'

“我的衣服一直是一位女人做的,”保羅說道。“她給我姐姐做衣服。”

'My tailor's Burgess and Co.,' said Toots. 'Fash'nable. But very dear.'

“我的衣服是伯吉斯公司做的,”圖茨說道。“很時髦。但是很貴。”

Paul had wit enough to shake his head, as if he would have said it was easy to see that; and indeed he thought so.

保羅聰明地點點頭,彷彿想說,·這·點很容易看得出來;他確實也是這樣想的。

'Your father's regularly rich, ain't he?' inquired Mr Toots.

“您的父親很有錢,是嗎?”圖茨先生問道。

'Yes, Sir,' said Paul. 'He's Dombey and Son.'

“是的,先生,”保羅說道,“他就是——董貝父子公司。”

'And which?' demanded Toots.

“董貝什麼?”圖茨問道。

'And Son, Sir,' replied Paul.

“父子,先生,”保羅回答道。

Mr Toots made one or two attempts, in a low voice, to fix the Firm in his mind; but not quite succeeding, said he would get Paul to mention the name again to-morrow morning, as it was rather important. And indeed he purposed nothing less than writing himself a private and confidential letter from Dombey and Son immediately.

圖茨先生低聲地試了一兩次,想把公司的名字記在心頭,但不很成功,就說,他想請保羅第二天早上把這名字再說一次,因爲這是相當重要的。其實他無非是想立刻起草一封董貝父子公司寫給他本人親啓的機密信件罷了。

By this time the other pupils (always excepting the stony boy) gathered round. They were polite, but pale; and spoke low; and they were so depressed in their spirits, that in comparison with the general tone of that company, Master Bitherstone was a perfect Miller, or complete Jest Book.' And yet he had a sense of injury upon him, too, had Bitherstone.

這時候其他的學生(那位石頭般的孩子總是例外)都聚集在一起。他們都彬彬有禮,但臉色蒼白,低聲說話;他們精神都很抑鬱,跟這羣人的心緒比起來,比瑟斯通少爺可以稱得上是一位真正的米勒①或者是一本《笑話大全》了。然而比瑟斯通少爺也有一種受屈感。

--------

①指18世紀英國(滑稽)演員喬(約瑟夫)·米勒(Joe(Joseph)DMiller)(公元1684—1738年);在他死後,由約翰·莫特利(JohnMottley)編了一本《喬·米勒趣話集》(JoeMiller’sJests)出版。


註釋: slip down 失足
(1) Take down the insulation slip.
中斷絕緣材料滑動。
(2) I wrote it down on a slip of paper.
我把它記在一張紙條上。
(3) He might slip, but he would not stay down.
他會滑下去,但是他不會停留在下面。
(4) I am slip from armrest those who come down.
我是從扶手上滑下來的。
(5) It is a joy to listen to their voices slip up and down.
聆聽他們歌聲的抑揚頓挫真是一大享受。
(6) 3 million, equivalent to book payment is from "down" to slip of a pen.
3萬元的性質是預付款,相當於預訂金,之所以寫成“定金”屬於筆誤。
(7) You are far from the central office , you just slip down to a lower rate.
你離開電話局遠,那麼你就降到較低的速度上。

shake
vt. 動搖;搖動;震動
vi. 動搖;搖動;發抖
n. 搖動;哆嗦
[ 過去式shook 過去分詞shaken 現在分詞shaking ]

(1) Make me a chocolate milk shake .
給我巧克力泡沫牛奶。
(2) Shake the sand out of your shoes.
把鞋子裏面的沙子抖出來。
(3) Shake, shake, shake your shoulders.
搖,搖,搖搖你的肩。
(4) Her hands began to shake.
她的手開始發抖。
(5) This canoe does not shake out easily.
這個獨木舟裏的水不容易搖出來。
(6) We sometimes shake hands when we say hello.
當我們說你好的時候有時會握手。
(7) It's taking me a long time to shake off this cold.
我這回感冒好長時間了還沒好透。
(8) After all, you cannot shake hands with a closed fist.
畢竟,你不可能和一個握緊的拳頭握手。