當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第127期:Yob 流氓;暴徒

The english we speak(BBC教學)第127期:Yob 流氓;暴徒

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.18W 次

The english we speak(BBC教學)第127期:Yob 流氓;暴徒

Callum: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Callum Robertson.

卡勒姆:大家好,歡迎收看地道英語節目。我是卡勒姆·羅伯遜。

Li: And I'm Yang Li.

李:我是楊李。

Men: Come 'ere then! Oi! Come on then! Want a fight? Who are ya?!

男:來呀!嘿!來呀!想打架嗎?你以爲你是誰?

Li: Oh Callum! Who are all those horrible men that I can hear on my headphones?

李:哦,卡勒姆!我耳機傳出來了一些可怕男人的聲音,他們都是誰啊?

Callum: Well, Li, they are yobs.

卡勒姆:李,他們都是粗野的人。

Li: Yobs?

李:Yobs?

Callum: Yes, yobs. Yob is our phrase for today. It's an informal word that refers to a man who is loud and rude and possibly rather violent.

卡勒姆:對,粗野的人。這就是我們今天要講的詞。這是一個非正式用語,指那些又吵、又粗魯,而且可能很暴力的男人。

Li: Oh, that sounds like you!

李:哦,那聽起來很像你!

Callum: What are you talking about, sounds like me?! What do you mean? Are you asking for a fight?!

卡勒姆:你在說什麼,聽起來和我很像?你什麼意思啊?你是想和我打一架嗎?

Li: No, no, no! But do you see what I mean? You sound like a yob.

李:不,不,不是!可是你明白我什麼意思了嗎?你聽上去就像個粗魯的人!

Callum: Erm... yes, OK. Sorry about that. Hmm. Anyway, I chose this word because as many people will know the UK recently experienced some violence on the streets of London and other cities. 'Yob' is a word that the British press used to describe the rioters. Let's hear some real headlines from some British newspapers:

卡勒姆:額……好吧。好。剛剛我很抱歉。不管怎麼說,我選擇今天講這個詞是因爲許多人都知道,近日英國倫敦和其他城市的街頭都經歷了一些暴力事件。Yob這個詞就是英國媒體用來形容那些暴徒的。我們來聽一些英國報紙的頭條新聞:

UK riots: 11 councils to evict 'riot yobs'.

英國暴徒:11個地方議會驅逐“暴徒”。

Ken Clarke blames 'feral' yobs.

肯·克拉克指責“兇猛的”暴徒。

600 riot yobs left DNA on windows.

600名暴徒在窗戶上留下了DNA。

Riot yobs filmed attacking cop cars.

暴徒襲擊警車的畫面被拍。

Riot yobs can't hide.

暴徒無處可躲。

UK riots: young yobs back on streets despite David Cameron's pledge.

英國騷亂:儘管戴維·卡梅倫做出承諾,但是年輕的暴徒再次現身街頭。

Li: Ah, I'm not sure I remember seeing this word yob on the BBC news site.

李:啊,我不記得我在BBC新聞網站上看到過這個詞。

Callum: Well no. It's a very negative and judgemental word. The BBC tends to avoid this kind of language in its news stories. But this is a piece of British slang that is very common in the UK. And we also sometimes use the word yobbo.

卡勒姆:是沒有。這個詞含義非常消極,而且具有評判意味。BBC一般會避免在新聞報道里使用這類語言。但是這個英語俚語在英國非常常見。我們有時也會使用yobbo這個詞。

Li: Yobbo. Hmm. But where do all these words come from?

李:Yobbo。嗯,但是這些詞來自哪裏呢?

Callum: Well, interestingly, what we have here is an example of backslang. If you read the word yob backwards, what do you get?

卡勒姆:嗯,有意思的是,這些詞是倒讀俚語。如果你把yob這個詞倒過來,你會得到什麼?

Li: Erm... B.O.Y., boy.

李:額……B.O.Y,男孩。

Callum: Exactly. And that's what the word used to mean, but now it refers to a rude and violent man, often a young man but not always.

卡勒姆:沒錯。這就是這個詞以前的意思,不過現在這個詞指那些粗魯又暴力的男人,通常是指年輕人,但不一定。

Li: Listen Callum, I'm sorry about earlier. I don't really think you are a yob. You are a gentleman.

李:卡勒姆,聽着,我對我剛剛說過的話感到抱歉。我真的不認爲你是個暴徒。你是個紳士。

Callum: Oh, thanks Li.

卡勒姆:哦,謝謝你,李。

Li: But in any case you know if we were to get in a fight I would beat you. So don't you try that again!

李:不過,無論如何,如果我們兩個打架,我肯定能打敗你。所以不要再挑釁我了!

Callum: OK.

卡勒姆:好。

重點講解:
1. refer to
稱…(爲);描述;指的是;
eg. The term'alexia'is used to refer to any acquired disorder of reading.
“失讀症”常用來指後天閱讀障礙。
eg. It can refer to an academic subject or a practical skill.
這一詞既可指某一學科也可指某種技能。
2. tend to do sth.
往往會;經常做某事;
eg. The worst sufferers of the condition tend to live in highly polluted areas.
病情最嚴重的患者大都居住在重度污染區。
eg. He means no harm by saying what he thinks, but people tend to be upset by it.
他想到什麼就說什麼,並無惡意,但人們聽了心裏總是不舒服。
3. in any case
(強調後面的陳述至關重要或十分肯定)不管怎樣,無論如何;
eg. In any case you must arrive there on time.
無論如何你必須按時到達那裏。
eg. In any case, a lot of things are always helpless and perplexed.
不管怎樣,很多事情總是讓人無奈,不知所措。