當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第126期:Hold your horses 彆着急;慢慢來

The english we speak(BBC教學)第126期:Hold your horses 彆着急;慢慢來

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.38W 次

The english we speak(BBC教學)第126期:Hold your horses 彆着急;慢慢來

William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.

威廉:大家好,歡迎收看地道英語節目。我是威廉·克萊默。

Li: And I'm Li. William, what's our phrase today?

李:我是李。威廉,我們今天講什麼短語?

William: Well, hold on a second Li, let me just play you -

威廉:李,稍等一下,讓我給你播放……

Li: No, come on, tell me now–what phrase are we looking at today?

李:不,不,現在就告訴我,我們今天要講什麼短語?

William: Well, we'll come onto that in a minute but I've got some very special FX for you...

威廉:嗯,我們一會兒再說這個,現在我要給你放一些特殊音效……

Li: More special FX?! And special music? That's not what our people want! They want authentic English phrases, and they want them now! So what's our phrase today?

李:又是特殊音效?特殊音樂?那可不是我們的觀衆想要的!他們想要學真正的英語短語,他們現在就要學習!所以我們今天到底講什麼短語?

William: Li, hold your horses!

威廉:李,彆着急!

Li: Eh?

李:什麼?

William: Hold your horses. It means: be patient.

威廉:Hold your horses的意思就是耐心點。

Li: Oh... where does this phrase come from, William?

李:哦……那威廉,這個短語出自哪裏?

William: Well, apparently it comes from battles in times of war:

威廉:嗯,顯然是出自戰爭年代:

FX–Battle re-enactment noise

特殊音效——再現戰爭場面的聲音

Man: Hold your horses men!

男:士兵們,勒住你們的馬!

FX–gunfire, horses whinnying

特殊音效——炮火聲,馬的嘶鳴聲

Li: Wow, Will, your FX this week are really special!

李:哇,威爾,你這周的特殊音效真的很特別!

William: Hmmm, I know! In that clip we heard a soldier telling his men to hold their horses before he started firing weapons.

威廉:嗯,我知道!剛剛那段剪輯我們聽到了一名士兵跟戰友說在開火之前要勒住馬,沉住氣。

Li: But nowadays, I am guessing, you don't need to be a soldier to use this phrase, right?

李:但是現在,我想,不一定是士兵才使用這個短語,對吧?

William: Exactly, yes. It means: don't rush, be patient. Let's hear a couple of examples:

威廉:沒錯。這個短語的意思是:彆着急,耐心點。我們再來聽幾個例子:

Man: I've just gone online to order us some new computers. What's our charge code again?

男:我剛剛在網上訂了一些新電腦。我們的支付密碼是什麼來着?

Woman: Ah, well you're going to have to hold your horses! I haven't agreed a budget yet with the management team.

女:啊,先彆着急。我和管理團隊還沒同意預算呢。

BBC Learning English

這裏是BBC英語學習節目

Man 2: I've just spoken to Mark–

男2:我剛剛和馬克談話了……

Woman 2: Have you indeed? Well don't listen to a word that man says! He's never liked me...

女2:你真的這麼做了?那個人說的話一句都不要聽!他從來沒喜歡過我……

Man 2: Hey, hey hey! Hold your horses. We didn't discuss you at all, as a matter of fact.

男2:嘿,嘿,嘿!彆着急。實際上,我們根本就沒有談到你的事。

Li: So in that first example, the man couldn't order his computers yet because the company hadn't agreed a budget. He had to wait; he had to hold his horses.

李:在第一個例子裏,男子目前還不能訂購電腦,因爲公司還沒有同意這項預算。他必須要等;他必須要有耐心。

William: Hmm. And in the second example it was slightly different. In that clip we heard a woman interrupt the man because she thought she knew what he was going to say.

威廉:嗯。而第二個例子則有些不同。我們剛剛聽到那名女子打斷了男子的話,是因爲她認爲她知道他要說什麼。

Li: Ah yes, the man told her to hold her horse and wait for him to finish speaking.

李:對,男子告訴她不要着急,先等他把話說完。

William: Ah, yeah, but Li we never say "Hold your horse" we always say "Hold your horses".

威廉:對,但是李,我們從來不說Hold your horse,我們一般說Hold your horses。

Li: Oh OK, I'll bear it in mind. But, er, Will...?

李:哦,好的,我會記住的。但是,威爾……?

William: Yeah?

威廉:什麼?

Li: Can you hold this for me please?

李:你能幫我拿下這個嗎?

Horse whinnying

馬的嘶鳴聲

重點講解:
1. hold one's horses
彆着急;耐心點;
eg. Tell him to hold his horses! I'm not ready yet!
叫他彆着急,我還沒準備好呢!
eg. Hold your horses! We don't have to rush to the shop now. It's open till late tonight.
彆着急,現在我們不必趕着去商店。商店要到深夜才關門呢,
2. as a matter of fact
確切地說;事實上;恰恰相反;
eg. As a matter of fact, business has come to a stop.
事實上,業務已停止了。
eg. As a matter of fact, this was purely newspaper gossip and speculation.
事實上,這純粹是報紙上的閒談和推測。
3. bear sth. in mind
牢記;放在心上;
eg. It must be borne in mind that the victory is hard-won.
須知勝利來之不易。
eg. I'll bear your advice in mind.
我將牢記你的忠告。