當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 關於睡覺的趣味俚語,夜貓子竟然不是night cat!

關於睡覺的趣味俚語,夜貓子竟然不是night cat!

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.58W 次

關於睡覺的趣味俚語,夜貓子竟然不是night cat!

Sleep is so important! It can get you through the day and help to refresh your brain afterwards. Everyone needs sleep so it’s natural that everyone would be talking about it.

睡眠是如此重要!它能讓你度過一天的難關,並且有助於在事後恢復你的大腦。每個人都需要睡眠,所以很自然每個人都會談論它。


Here are some idioms to talk about sleep! We’ve split them into the following groups:

這裏有一些關於睡眠的習語!我們將它們分成以下幾組:


Not being able to sleep – Creative ways to say that you can’t sleep.

睡不着-創造性地說你不能睡覺。


Waking up – Different ways to express getting up early!

起牀-不同的方式表達早起!


Feeling tired – Ways to say that you’re tired.

感覺疲勞——說你累的方式。


Sleep formalities – Different ways to say good morning, good night and more!

睡眠禮節-不同的方式說早上好,晚上好等等!


Colloquial idioms – Both British and American expressions for sleep.

口語習語——英國和美國的睡眠表達。


sleepNot being able to sleep

睡不着

Tossing and turning

輾轉難眠


This is a phrase used to describe when someone has not slept well.

這是一個用來形容某人睡眠不好的短語。


If you can imagine laying in bed, to toss and turn means that you would be moving and turning all night, meaning you can’t sleep!

如果你能想象躺在牀上,輾轉反側意味着你會整夜輾轉反側,意味着你無法入睡。


James: How did you sleep Maggie?

詹姆斯:麥琪,你睡得怎麼樣?


Maggie: I didn’t sleep well at all!

瑪吉:我根本睡不好!


James: Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that! Was the bed uncomfortable?

詹姆斯:哦,不,聽到這個我很難過!牀不舒服嗎?


Maggie: No, no, don’t worry! It was just so hot, I was tossing and turning all night!

麥琪:不,不,別擔心!天氣太熱了,我整夜輾轉反側!

A Night Owl

夜貓子


A night owl is somebody who loves to stay up late. It can be seen as quite strange to be up late, so we need a name for it!

夜貓子是喜歡熬夜的人。晚起很奇怪,所以我們需要一個名字!


Owls are, of course, nocturnal which means they only come out at night. They are naturally the best animal to fit this description.

貓頭鷹當然是夜間活動的,這意味着它們只在晚上出來。它們自然是最適合這種描述的動物。


Liam: Right, time for bed I think!

利亞姆:是的,我想該睡覺了!


Margaret: Oh, okay, but it’s so early.

瑪格麗特:哦,好吧,但現在太早了。


Liam: What? It’s ten o’clock!

利亞姆:什麼?十點了!


Margaret: Yeah I know, I’m a night owl. I like to stay up later than most people

瑪格麗特:是的,我知道,我是個夜貓子。我喜歡熬夜比大多數人晚


Waking Up Early

早起


To get up at the crack of dawn

黎明時分起牀


Okay, so this one is about waking up as opposed to sleep but still relevant! The crack of dawn is seen as the first light of the day, so it is the moment that the sun rises over the horizon.

好吧,這一個是關於起牀,而不是睡覺,但仍然相關!黎明的裂縫被視爲一天中的第一道曙光,所以這是太陽從地平線升起的時刻。


If you are up this early then you are probably crazy and very tired. Nevertheless some people do wake up this early and this is a great phrase just for them.

如果你這麼早就起牀了,那麼你可能是瘋了,而且很累。然而,有些人確實很早就醒了,這是一個很好的短語。


Lucy: Hi Ernie!

嗨,厄尼!


Ernie: Hello Lucy, how are you?

厄尼:你好,露西,你好嗎?


Lucy: I’m tired, I had to get up at 8 o’clock this morning.

露西:我累了,我今天早上8點得起牀。


Ernie: That’s not early! I was up at 6:30, right at the crack of dawn!

厄尼:還不早!我6:30起牀,就在黎明時分!


Lucy: You’re crazy, I would never get up that early.

露西:你瘋了,我不會那麼早起牀的。


An early bird

早起的人


Following the theme of being up early, this is how to describe someone who wakes up early very often.

遵循早起的主題,這是如何描述一個經常早起的人。


An early bird is someone who wakes up at the crack of dawn consistently. There is also a saying in English that goes: The early bird gets the worm.

早起的鳥兒總是在黎明時分醒來。英語中也有這樣一句話:“早起的鳥兒有蟲吃。”


This is usually used to say that you have gotten an opportunity before someone else because you were ready while they were sleeping and not paying attention.

這通常是用來說你比別人先得到了一個機會,因爲你在別人睡覺的時候已經準備好了,而且沒有注意。


Julie: Marcus, what time were you up this morning? I thought I heard noises at 6 o’clock!

朱莉:馬庫斯,你今天早上幾點起牀?

我以爲我6點鐘聽到了噪音!

Marcus: Yep, that was me! I’m an early bird.

馬庫斯:是的,那是我!我是個早起的人。


Julie: You certainly are!

朱莉:你當然是!


tired

疲倦的


Feeling Tired

感到疲勞


I can barely keep my eyes open

我幾乎睜不開眼睛


This is a great phrase to tell people how tired you are. Maybe you have friends over and they want to watch just one more film, but you are not so keen.

這是一個很好的短語來告訴人們你有多累。也許你有朋友過來,他們只想再看一部電影,但你不那麼熱衷。


A great way to tell them just how sleepy you are is to say I can barely keep my eyes open with a big yawn and a stretch!

告訴他們你有多困的一個好方法是說我打個哈欠,伸個懶腰,眼睛都睜不開了!


Lyn: Wow, that film was good! Anyone for one more?

林恩:哇,那部電影不錯!有人再來一次嗎?


Frank: I wish, but I can barely keep my eyes open!

弗蘭克:我希望如此,但我幾乎睜不開眼睛!


Lyn: That’s fine, it is late after all.

林:沒關係,畢竟已經晚了。


I’m exhausted

我精疲力盡了


Another cool way to say that you’re very very tired.

另一個很酷的說法是你很累。


To exhaust something means to use it all up until nothing is left. In this case, you are referring to energy in your body. Usually, we talk about resources such as oil or coal being exhausted.

耗盡某物意味着把它全部用完,直到什麼都不剩。在這種情況下,你指的是你身體中的能量。通常,我們談論的是石油或煤炭等資源被耗盡。


Exhaustion is also a medical state and means that someone literally cannot do anymore and needs to rest and recover. Usually, you aren’t really as bad as this if you say I’m exhausted!

精疲力竭也是一種醫學狀態,意味着某人真的不能再做了,需要休息和恢復。通常,如果你說我累了,你就不會這麼糟糕了!


Brian: Well, it has been a really long day today hasn’t it, Emma?

布萊恩:嗯,今天真是漫長的一天,不是嗎,艾瑪?


Emma: Yeah it has, all this travelling has taken all my energy, I’m exhausted!

艾瑪:是啊,這次旅行消耗了我所有的精力,我累了!


Sleep Formalities

睡眠表達


To tuck someone in

給某人蓋被子


This is usually to do with parents and children.

這通常與父母和孩子有關。


Parents tuck their children in at night to help them sleep, specifically, the parent makes sure the covers (duvet) of the bed are wrapped tightly around their child so that they can sleep feeling nice and warm.

父母在晚上給孩子們蓋被子來幫助他們睡覺,特別是,父母要確保牀的被套(羽絨被)緊緊地包裹在孩子周圍,這樣他們才能睡得舒服和溫暖。


Tim: Dad, dad!

提姆:爸爸,爸爸!


Dad: Yes, Tim?

爸爸:怎麼了,蒂姆?


Tim: Can I watch TV for half an hour longer?

提姆:我能再看半小時電視嗎?


Dad: No, it’s bedtime. Now go and get into bed and I will come and tuck you in.

爸爸:不,該睡覺了。現在去睡覺,我來給你蓋被子。


Tim: Okay!

提姆:好吧!


Sleep well!

睡個好覺!


This is a phrase used to wish people a good night’s sleep.

這句話是用來祝願人們睡個好覺的。


As you’re going to bed, you can say the formal good night and then if you are friends with the person or on any kind of informal terms with them, you can add sleep well! to which they will most likely respond, you too!

當你要睡覺的時候,你可以說正式的晚安,然後如果你是這個人的朋友或者與他們有任何非正式的關係,你可以加上睡眠良好!他們很可能會對此做出迴應,你也是!


Tony: Time for bed I think, Mary.

託尼:瑪麗,我想該睡覺了。


Mary: It certainly is! Good night, Tony, sleep well!

瑪麗:當然是!晚安,託尼,睡得好!


Tony: You too!

託尼:你也是!


Rise and shine!

起牀!


This is an informal way of waking somebody up.

這是喚醒某人的非正式方式。


Perhaps if you have friends over at your house and everyone is up and ready for the day except one person, you would go to their bedroom and shout rise and shine!

如果你家裏有朋友,除了一個人以外,其他人都準備好了,也許你會去他們的臥室大喊“快起牀吧!”


You may have noticed that rise and shine is exactly what the sun does in the morning. This phrase refers back to the sun, basically saying that the sun is up and you should be as well!

你可能已經注意到,日出和放光正是太陽在早晨所做的。這個短語指的是太陽,基本上說太陽升起了,你也應該是!


Russell: Lisa! It’s 12 o’clock already! Get up!

羅素:麗莎!已經12點了!起牀!


Lisa: No! I’m sleeping!

麗莎:不!我在睡覺!


Russell: Rise and shine young lady!

羅素:女士,起牀吧!


Sleep on it

好好考慮一夜


To do with sleep, but more figurative, this one asks someone to take a little while to think about something.

關於睡眠,但更形象地說,這一個要求某人花一點時間思考一些事情。


Usually, with a difficult business proposal, you can tell someone to sleep on it to emphasise that they don’t have to rush their decision. This can put people at ease and help you to close a deal!

通常,對於一個困難的商業計劃書,你可以告訴某人好好考慮一下,以強調他們不必急於做出決定。這可以讓人們放鬆,幫助你達成交易!


When you say sleep on it, you then have to wait until at least the day after to ask for the person’s decision again. So make sure you have time to wait!

當你說sleep on it,你必須至少等到第二天再要求對方做出決定。所以一定要有時間等!


Steven: So Mark, what do you think of our offer? Does 3 million sound good?

史蒂文:馬克,你覺得我們的報價怎麼樣?300萬聽起來不錯嗎?


Mark:I don’t know Steve, I still need to think about it.

馬克:我不認識史蒂夫,我還需要考慮一下。


Steven: No problem! I’ll tell you what, sleep on it and let me know in the morning!

史蒂文:沒問題!我會告訴你什麼,睡一覺,早上告訴我!


Mark: Sounds great Steven, thanks a lot.

馬克:聽起來不錯,史蒂文,非常感謝。


Colloquial Idioms

口語成語


To burn the candle at both ends

自暴自棄


This is a common one in British English, it means that you are waking up early but also sleeping late.

這在英國英語中很常見,它意味着你早起也睡得很晚。


The analogy of the candle is very appropriate as if you continue to do get up early (light the candle at the top) and go to bed late (light the candle at the bottom), there will eventually be no candle left. In real terms, if you do this regularly, you will always be tired and unable to function to the best of your ability.

蠟燭的比喻是非常恰當的,如果你繼續早起(在頂部點燃蠟燭)和晚睡(在底部點燃蠟燭),最終將沒有蠟燭剩下。事實上,如果你經常這樣做,你會一直很累,無法發揮你最大的能力。


Janet: Keith, you look so tired today!

珍妮特:基思,你今天看起來很累!


Keith: I know, I was up late working and then I got up early this morning to get to work.

基思:我知道,我上班遲到了,然後我今天早上起得很早去上班。


Janet: Keith, that’s bad for your health, you’re burning the candle at both ends!

珍妮特:基思,這對你的健康不好,你在自暴自棄!


Keith: I know. I’ll try to go to bed earlier tonight.

基思:我知道。今晚我想早點睡覺。


To sleep like a baby

像嬰兒一樣睡得安穩


This is quite a clear one, it means to have a fantastic night’s sleep or sleep very well. It is a bit of a strange phrase if you think about it!

這是很清楚的一個,它意味着要有一個美妙的夜晚的睡眠或睡眠非常好。如果你仔細想想,這是一個有點奇怪的短語!


It’s supposed to mean that you sleep very well or have slept very deeply, but when you think about how easy it can be to wake a baby up with just a small noise, it seems quite a strange choice!

這應該意味着你睡得很好,或者睡得很深,但是當你想到用一點小噪音吵醒嬰兒是多麼容易的時候,這似乎是一個很奇怪的選擇!


Nevertheless, you can see where it’s coming from and what it’s trying to say. Usually you say this phrase in the past tense if someone asks you “how did you sleep?”

然而,你可以看到它來自哪裏,它想說什麼。通常,如果有人問你“你睡得怎麼樣?”,你會用過去時說這個短語。他說:“這是一個很好的選擇。”


Mary: Good morning Alan, how did you sleep?

瑪麗:早上好,艾倫,你睡得怎麼樣?


Alan: Do you know what, Mary, I slept like a baby! I feel so refreshed!

艾倫:你知道嗎,瑪麗,我睡得像個嬰兒!我覺得很精神!


Mary: I’m glad!

瑪麗:我很高興!


To sleep like a rock / to sleep like a log

睡得像石頭/睡得像木頭


This is another one to say that you sleep very deeply but even more so. It’s more habitual and describes your general sleep pattern. Again, this is rather amusing as rocks do not sleep and are not conscious!

這是另一種說法,你睡得很深,但更甚。它更習慣於描述你的一般睡眠模式。再說一次,這很有趣,因爲石頭不睡覺,也沒有意識!


If someone sleeps like a rock it is extremely difficult to wake them up, sometimes impossible. Even the loudest noise wouldn’t wake someone up if they sleep like a rock. They will not be disturbed no matter what!

如果有人睡得像塊石頭,很難叫醒他們,有時是不可能的。如果一個人睡得像塊石頭,即使是最響的聲音也不會吵醒他。不管怎樣他們都不會被打擾!


Joe: Nancy, did you hear those fireworks last night? I couldn’t sleep!

喬:南希,你昨晚聽到煙火了嗎?我睡不着!


Nancy: Oh no, I didn’t hear them. I sleep like a rock! Nothing could wake me up!

南希:哦,不,我沒聽見。我睡得像塊石頭!沒什麼能吵醒我!


Joe: Wow! They were so loud I can’t believe it. I thought the sky was falling!

喬:哇!他們太吵了,我簡直不敢相信。我以爲天要塌下來了!


Another variation of this phrase includes ‘to sleep like a log’.

這個短語的另一個變體包括“像木頭一樣睡覺”。


Hit the hay/sack

睡覺


This one is more American than British and is used to indicate that someone is going to bed.

這個比英國人更美國,用來表示有人要睡覺。


Usually, as a conversation winds down and time goes on, people will get tired. Someone is likely to wait for a silence and say Okay! Time to hit the hay!

通常,隨着談話的結束和時間的推移,人們會感到疲勞。有人可能會等着安靜下來然後說“好的”!該睡覺了!


Then, they will wish everyone a good night and go to bed. Its a less awkward and more social way of saying that you’re going to bed.

然後,他們會祝大家晚安,然後上牀睡覺。這是一種不那麼尷尬,更具社交意味的說你要睡覺的方式。


Jay: Dinner was delicious Karl, thanks very much!

傑伊:晚餐很好吃,卡爾,非常感謝!


Karl: No problem Jay, it was a pleasure.

卡爾:沒問題,傑伊,很高興。


Jay: Okay! Time to hit the hay I think!

傑伊:好的!我想是時候睡覺了!


Karl: Yeah, it’s ten o’clock already. Good night!

卡爾:是的,已經十點了。晚安!


To have a lie in / to sleep in

躺着/睡覺


These are British and American ways of saying that you are sleeping a bit later than normal, perhaps until 9 or 10.

這些都是英國和美國的說法,說你睡得比平時晚一點,可能直到9點或10點。


British people tend to say that they are going to have a lie in, or they had a lie in.

英國人傾向於說他們說have a lie in,或者他們會had a lie in。


Americans tend to say I’m going to sleep in or I slept in.

美國人傾向於用sleep in。


Gill: What time are you getting up tomorrow Jane?

吉爾:簡,你明天幾點起牀?


Jane: Well, it’s been a long week so I think I’m going to have a lie in.

簡:好吧,這一週很長,所以我想我要睡懶覺了。


Gill: That’s fair enough, you have been working hard!

吉爾:有道理,你一直在努力工作!


A catnap / forty winks

小憩


A catnap is primarily an American phrase but can be used in British English as well.

catnap主要是一個美國短語,但也可以在英國英語中使用。


Forty winks is a British term with the same meaning. It’s used to refer to a very short sleep during the day. As you can imagine it is taken from the way that cats sleep during the day for short periods of time before continuing their day!

“四十眼”是一個具有相同含義的英國術語。它用來指白天睡得很短。正如你所能想象的,這是從貓在白天短時間的睡眠方式,然後繼續他們的一天!


Catnaps can be refreshing and help you to complete what you need to do with greater resolve and competence.

小憩可以讓人耳目一新,幫助你以更大的決心和能力完成你需要做的事情。


Graham: Tim, you look like you’ve just woken up!

格雷厄姆:蒂姆,你看起來好像剛醒過來!


Tim: That’s because I have!

那是因爲我確實如此!


Graham: But it’s 1 o’clock in the afternoon!

格雷厄姆:但是現在是下午1點!


Tim: I know, it was just a quick catnap! Now I’m ready for the rest of the day.  

我知道那只是一個短暫的小睡!現在我已經準備好迎接剩下的一天了。


Sleep tight (don’t let the bedbugs bite)

睡個好覺(別讓臭蟲咬)


Now, bear with me here. Saying sleep tight to someone by itself is a way of saying have a good sleep or a variation on sleep well.

現在,在這裏忍受我。單獨對某人說“睡得好”是一種表達“睡得好”或“睡眠好”的變化的方式。


Don’t let the bedbugs bite is a joke that is added to the phrase to make it funny. This is usually only used in an informal setting with friends or family. Also, note that it could scare children to say this to them, they may believe that there are really bedbugs in their bed.

別讓臭蟲咬了,這是一個加在短語裏的笑話,讓它變得有趣。這通常只用於與朋友或家人的非正式場合。另外,注意到這可能會嚇唬孩子們對他們說,他們可能相信他們的牀上真的有臭蟲。


Use with caution!

小心使用!


Mickey: Good night kids! Sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite!

米奇:晚安,孩子們!睡個好覺,別讓臭蟲咬!


Andrea: Bedbugs? You’re just joking, right?

安德里亞:臭蟲?你只是開玩笑,對吧?


Mickey: Of course I’m joking! It’s just an expression, don’t worry!

米奇:我當然在開玩笑!這只是一種表達,別擔心!


To catch some Zs

準備睡覺


This is an American way of saying that you’re going to sleep.

這是美國人說你要睡覺的方式。


It comes from the way that snoring is depicted in cartoons. When someone snores in a cartoon, there is usually a speech bubble coming from their mouths with “Z Z Z Z” coming from it. Also, this is quite an antiquated phrase and is not generally used but you may hear it as a joke to make a situation more comfortable, similar to saying they are going to hit the hay.

它來源於卡通片中描述打鼾的方式。當有人在動畫片裏打鼾時,通常會有一個從他們嘴裏冒出來的帶有“z z z z”的語音泡泡。此外,這是一個相當陳舊的短語,通常不被使用,但你可能會聽到它作爲一個笑話,使一個更舒適的情況,類似於說他們將要擊中乾草。


Another variation of this phrase is to say catch (or get) some shuteye. It may seem strange but it does make sense believe it or not!

這個短語的另一個變體是“抓住(或得到)一些閉眼”。這可能看起來很奇怪,但信不信由你是有道理的!


Nina:Hey, John, have you seen Richard?

尼娜:嘿,約翰,你見過理查德嗎?


John:Yeah I have. He said he was going to catch some shuteye.

約翰:是的,我有。他說他要閉上眼睛。


Nina:That makes sense, he did look tired.

尼娜:說得通,他看起來確實很累。