當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語閱讀理解 > 接線員的小硬幣

接線員的小硬幣

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.03W 次

When I was 19
十九歲的時候
I legally immigrated to the USA.
我非法移民到了美國
I left my country on Mother's day 1963.
1963年的母親節,我離開了故土
Circumstances were such that
我的處境如此糟糕
I for a short time
有一小段時間裏
became homeless
我無家可歸
but then found a job
後來我找到一份工作
in East Los Angeles.
在舊金山東部
I was able to live in one of their staff houses,
我在他們提供的一間宿舍住下
went 3 hours to school each night.
每天晚上花三個小時的時間走去學校
I had very little money
我幾乎沒什麼錢
but felt abundant .
卻感到十分富足
Mother's Day 1964 arrived
1964年的母親節到來了
and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.
我想給遠在德國的母親打個電話
I had a little paper sack of quarters
我只有幾個硬幣,用紙包成一個小包
for $12.
總共能湊齊12美元
It was a LOT of money for me.
這對我來說已經是很大一筆錢了
I walked up 2 streets
我走過了兩個街區
to a phone booth.
才找到一個電話亭
It was a pretty hot day.
那時一個十分炎熱的日子
Anyway
無論如何
I dialed the operator:
我接通了接線員
'How may I help you?'
您需要什麼服務?
I said
我說
I like to call my Mom in Germany.
我想給在德國的母親打個電話
She said
她說:
'$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'
最初三分鐘12美元
I fed the phone all the quarters I had.
我把手中所有的硬幣都倒進了電話機裏
A.s.a. that happened
剛把硬幣扔完
I heard the phone ring.
我聽到了電話提示音
It was my Mom who picked up.
是母親拿起了電話
She was extremely excited
她興奮極了
to hear my voice for the first time in a year.
一年以來,還是第一次聽到了我的聲音
We talked fast and excitedly.
我們快速說着話,都很興奮
After a while she said:
過了一會兒她問
'Child this must be very expensive?'
孩子,這很貴吧?
I had forgotten time and space.
我已經忘記了世間和空間
We talked on and on.
我們繼續交談下去
The call ended
通話結束
and all my quarters tumbled out again.
我的硬幣卻都彈了出來
I was stunned.
我感到驚訝極了
We had talked for 45 minutes
我們談了45分鐘
and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.
這個善良的接線員給了我一份這樣好的禮物
Thank you.
謝謝你
It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced
我曾體會過許多種善良,這只是其中一種
in this wonderful country.
在這個神奇的國度
I never asked for anything.
我從不曾奢望什麼
But because I worked and studied hard,
但因爲我一直勤勞的工作和學習
people seeing it supported my effords.
看到我的努力的人們都來支持我

接線員的小硬幣