當前位置

首頁 > 英語學習 > 英語閱讀技巧 > 雙語美文:接線員的小硬幣

雙語美文:接線員的小硬幣

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 9.89K 次

When I was 19

雙語美文:接線員的小硬幣

十九歲的時候


I legally immigrated to the USA.

我非法移民到了美國


I left my country on Mother's day 1963.

1963年的母親節,我離開了故土


Circumstances were such that

我的處境如此糟糕


I for a short time

有一小段時間裏


became homeless

我無家可歸


but then found a job

後來我找到一份工作


in East Los Angeles.

在舊金山東部


I was able to live in one of their staff houses,

我在他們提供的一間宿舍住下


went 3 hours to school each night.

每天晚上花三個小時的時間走去學校


I had very little money

我幾乎沒什麼錢


but felt abundant .

卻感到十分富足


Mother's Day 1964 arrived

1964年的母親節到來了


and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.

我想給遠在德國的母親打個電話


I had a little paper sack of quarters

我只有幾個硬幣,用紙包成一個小包


for $12.

總共能湊齊12美元


It was a LOT of money for me.

這對我來說已經是很大一筆錢了


I walked up 2 streets

我走過了兩個街區


to a phone booth.

才找到一個電話亭


It was a pretty hot day.

那時一個十分炎熱的日子


Anyway

無論如何


I dialed the operator:

我接通了接線員


'How may I help you?'

您需要什麼服務?


I said

我說


I like to call my Mom in Germany.

我想給在德國的母親打個電話


She said

她說:


 '$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'

最初三分鐘12美元


I fed the phone all the quarters I had.

我把手中所有的硬幣都倒進了電話機裏


A.s.a. that happened

剛把硬幣扔完


I heard the phone ring.

我聽到了電話提示音


It was my Mom who picked up.

是母親拿起了電話


She was extremely excited

她興奮極了


to hear my voice for the first time in a year.

一年以來,還是第一次聽到了我的聲音


We talked fast and excitedly.

我們快速說着話,都很興奮


After a while she said:

過了一會兒她問


'Child this must be very expensive?'

孩子,這很貴吧?


I had forgotten time and space.

我已經忘記了世間和空間


We talked on and on.

我們繼續交談下去


The call ended

通話結束


and all my quarters tumbled out again.

我的硬幣卻都彈了出來


I was stunned.

我感到驚訝極了


We had talked for 45 minutes

我們談了45分鐘


and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.

這個善良的接線員給了我一份這樣好的禮物


Thank you.

謝謝你


It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced

我曾體會過許多種善良,這只是其中一種


in this wonderful country.

在這個神奇的國度


I never asked for anything.

我從不曾奢望什麼


But because I worked and studied hard,

但因爲我一直勤勞的工作和學習


people seeing it supported my effords.

看到我的努力的人們都來支持我