當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第132期:On a roll 好運連連

The english we speak(BBC教學)第132期:On a roll 好運連連

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.66W 次

The english we speak(BBC教學)第132期:On a roll 好運連連

Helen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Helen.

海倫:大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目。我是海倫。

Steve: And I'm Steve. How are you, Helen?

史蒂夫:我是史蒂夫。海倫,你怎麼樣?

Helen: Actually, I'm feeling very positive, thanks Steve.

海倫:其實,我感覺相當不錯,謝謝你,史蒂夫。

Steve: Why? What's happened?

史蒂夫:是嗎?發生什麼了?

Helen: Well, I found out on Friday that I'm getting a promotion at BBC Learning English, then on Saturday I won £1,000 on the lottery.

海倫:嗯,週五的時候我在BBC英語教學頻道得到了提升,之後週六我買彩票贏了1000英鎊。

Steve: Wow, that's brilliant!

史蒂夫:哇,那真是太棒了!

Helen: Yes, and then on Sunday it got even better. I found out that some paintings I've done are going to be displayed at an art gallery in London!

海倫:對啊,之後週日還有更棒的事情發生。週日時我得知我的一些畫作要在倫敦的美術館展出了!

Steve: That's amazing, Helen–you're on a Roll at the moment, aren't you!

史蒂夫:那真是不可思議,海倫,你現在真是好運連連,不是嗎?

Helen: Er… I'm on a what?

海倫:額……我在什麼上?

Steve: On a roll

史蒂夫:是好運連連……

Helen: Roll? I don't roll… I walk, or sometimes I run if I want some exercise. A football rolls if I kick it across the ground.

海倫:打滾?我可不打滾……我可以走路,可能有時如果我想鍛鍊身體我會跑步。如果我踢足球,那足球倒是滾動的。

Steve: Sure, a football rolls, but you can be on a roll. It means you're experiencing lots of success or good luck at the moment.

史蒂夫:當然了,足球是滾動的,不過你也可以。這個短語的意思是你目前正在經歷許多成功的事情或是擁有好運。

Helen: I see, the phrase 'on a roll' means you are having lots of good luck in your life. Let's listen to an example.

海倫:我明白了,on a roll這個短語是指你的生活中好運接踵而至。我們來聽一個例子。

Man: I hear your sister's getting married.

男:我聽說你妹妹要結婚了。

Woman: Yeah, she met this amazing guy while she was working in the theatre in London, and six months later they're engaged! And then, yesterday she was offered the lead part in the theatre's new play. She's really on a roll!

女:對,她在倫敦劇院工作時遇到了一個非常不錯的男人,六個月之後他們就訂婚了!然後昨天她得到了劇院新劇的主角。她真的是好運連連!

Helen: So that woman is excited because her sister is on a roll–she met an amazing guy who she's now engaged to, and then she was offered the lead part in a play.

海倫:那個女人非常興奮,因爲她妹妹好運不斷,她遇到了一個很棒的男人並和他訂了婚,而且她還得到了戲劇的主角。

Steve: Yes, if you're on a roll it means lots of things are going well for you at the moment. Here’s another example.

史蒂夫:對,這個短語的意思是有現在有許多好事發生在你身上。這裏還有一個例子。

Man 1: How are Arsenal doing in the Premier League these days?

男1:最近阿森納在英超的表現怎麼樣?

Man 2: Oh, they're totally on a roll! They've won all three games this month, including the one against Man United!

男2:哦,他們完全是好運不斷!他們這個月進行的三場比賽全部取得了勝利,其中還包括一場和曼聯隊的比賽!

Helen: So that man thinks his favourite football team are on a roll because they've won all their games?

海倫:所以,那個男子認爲他最喜歡的足球隊好運不斷,因爲球隊贏得了所有比賽?

Steve: Yes, they've won every game they've played this month–they're playing really well.

蒂夫:對,球隊在這個月進行的所有比賽中都取得了勝利,他們真的踢得非常棒。

Text message sound

收到短信的聲音

Helen: Oh, wait a second. I've got a text message from my husband.

海倫:哦,等等。我剛收到了我丈夫發來的短信。

Steve: What's he saying–have you won the lottery again? Are you still on a roll?

史蒂夫:他說什麼了,你的彩票又中了嗎?你依然好運不斷?

Sound effect of car braking suddenly

汽車突然剎車的特殊音效

Helen: No… actually, he's just had his bike stolen, and earlier he lost his car keys!

海倫:不是……實際上,他的自行車剛剛被偷了,而且不久之前他的車鑰匙丟了!

Steve: Oh, dear, that's bad luck! Unlike you, he's definitely not on a roll.

史蒂夫:哦,天哪,那真是不走運啊!不像你,他完全沒有好運氣啊。

Helen: No… I'd better go and help him look for those keys. Bye!

海倫:是沒有……我最好去幫他找找鑰匙。再見!

Steve: Bye!

史蒂夫:再見!

重點講解:
1. on a roll
連連成功;連交好運;
eg. I made a name for myself and I was on a roll, I couldn't see anything going wrong.
我靠自己的能力成名了,接二連三地獲得成功,我覺得一切似乎一帆風順。
eg. Things are going great now! I'm on a roll!
事情進行得很順利!我好運正旺!
2. at the moment
目前;現在;
eg. At the moment there's no hard and fast timetable.
目前還沒有明確的時間表。
eg. I think she feels desperately wounded and unloved at the moment.
我想她此刻定會覺得受到了極大的傷害,無人關愛。
3. had better/'d better do sth.
(用於建議、警告、威脅、發表意見等)最好做某事;
eg. Perhaps you and I had better change over; you are more experienced.
也許我們的工作還是對換一下好,你比我更有經驗。
eg. I think you'd better tell us why you're asking these questions.
我想你最好告訴我們你爲什麼要問這些問題。