職場社交英語 Lesson 48:你對每個人都瞭若指掌
職場社交英語 Lesson 48:你對每個人都瞭若指掌
SCENE④ A 吉娜回到了自己的隔間
【你對每個人都瞭若指掌】
Zina: So will you back me up if things get ugly with Elvin?
吉娜: 要是我跟艾文鬧翻了,你會支援我嗎?
Dave: I will if you tell me how you're so sure that we're going to come out on top.
戴夫: 我會支援你,只要你說出你怎麼如此肯定我們會獨佔鰲頭。
Zina: We just will. 1) Trust me on that.
吉娜: 我們就是會。信我就是了。
Dave: After what you did, I don't know how hard Elvin's going to work to 2) meet your deadline.
戴夫: 在你做了那件事後,我不知道艾文工作會有多打拼,好趕上你的期限。
Zina: He'll do it. He's too proud not to.
吉娜: 他會的。他拉不下這張老臉。
Dave: You've got everyone 3) figured out, don't you?
戴夫: 你對每個人都瞭若指掌,是吧?
Zina: Yes, I do. Everyone.
吉娜: 對,我是。每個人。
語言詳解:
A: Are you going to be able to make the deadline
你能趕上最後期限嗎?
B: If I don' sleep for the next two days, it should be possible.
如果我在接下來兩天都不睡的話,應該可能。
【 ugly ……撕破臉】
ugly 除了大家所熟知的意思“醜的”,另外的常用意思是“(事態)劍拔弩張”。something gets ugly... 的意思是指事態大有一發不可收拾的情勢,或彼此的關係處於緊繃的緊張狀態。
A: Things are getting ugly in here.
事情弄到已經快要撕破臉了。
B: I'm going to leave before it gets any worse.
我要在這裡變得更糟糕以前先離開。
1) Trust me on that. “相信我就對了。”這句話用在慫恿對方相信自己所說的話。
2) meet the deadline 趕上最後期限。meet 在此指“符合、滿足(要求)”。
3) figure out 理解,弄清楚