The english we speak(BBC教學) 第4期:Other half我的那位
Li:Hi Neil, how are you.
Li:你好尼爾,最近怎麼樣?
Neil:I'm fine thanks, how are you Li?I'm good.Neil:謝謝我很好。小李你怎麼樣?我很好。
Li:Are you free on Saturday evening?
Li:你週六晚上有空嗎?
I'm holding a small dinner rday?我要舉辦一個小型的晚餐派對。週六嗎?
Neil:Yeah, that would be fantastic but I'd better just check with my other half.Neil:那好極了但是我最好和我的那位確認一下。
Li:Your other half?Li:你的那位?
Li:What do you mean?Li:什麼意思?
Neil:Yes I'm not sure if my wife has anything planned for Saturday.Neil:是的,我不確定我妻子週六是否有安排。
Li:Oh!I did not know you call your wife your other half.Li:哦,我之前不知道你稱你的妻子爲你的那位。
That's interesting.真有意思。
Neil:Yes.Neil:是啊。
Neil:That's a phrase often used by married couples to refer to each other.Neil:這是夫妻之間互相用來稱呼對方的短語。
Li:That's useful to know.Li:長知識了。
Let's hear some examples:我們來聽一些例子吧:
A:How's your other half?你的那位怎麼樣?
Is she feeling better?她好些了嗎?
B:Yes, she is much better, thanks.是的,她好多了。謝謝。
Lady:I like the colour of the car but I should ask my other half before I buy it.我喜歡這車的顏色但是我買之前應該問一下我的那位。
A:Fancy another pint, John?再來一品脫嗎,約翰?
B:I'd love another pint but I have promised my other half I'll be home early.我也想但是我已經答應了我的那位我會早點回家。
Neil:So, people often refer to their partner as their other half.Neil:所以人們經常用“他們的那位”來稱呼他們的伴侶。
Li:Can this phrase be used to refer to both a husband and a wife?這個短語即可以用來稱呼丈夫也可以用來稱呼妻子嗎?
Neil:Yes, that's correct.Neil:對。
Neil:And sometimes a man will refer to his wife as his better half.Neil:有時一個男人也會稱他的妻子爲“更好的那位”。
Li:Better half?Li:更好的那位?
Of course the woman is always the better half!當然了,妻子總是更好的那位!
would not you agree?難道不同意嗎?
Neil:Of course!Neil:當然!
My wife always reminds me that she's my better half!我的妻子老是提醒我她是我的更好的那位!
Li:Let's listen to a couple of examples:我們再來聽兩個例子吧:
A:Oh what a lovely room, you've made a great job of this.歐,多麼可愛的房間!你一定花了很多功夫。
B:Thanks, but compliments should really go to my better half, she chose all the colours and the furniture.謝謝,但是應該表揚的是我的妻子,是她選了所有的顏色和傢俱。
A:Thanks for dinner last night.謝謝昨晚的晚餐。
The food was fantastic!食物太棒了!
B:You're welcome.I'm glad you enjoyed it.不用謝,我很高興你喜歡。
It was a fun evening.真是個愉快的夜晚。
I'm really lucky, my better half is a great cook, I just have to do all the washing up.我真的很幸運,我的妻子廚藝超讚,我只是負責洗碗。
Li:I'm sure your wife thinks you are the better half although she may not say it.Li:我敢肯定你妻子肯定覺得你也是更好的那位儘管她可能不會說出來。
Neil:I hope so.Neil:我希望如此。
Li:Well, just check with your better half and let me know if you are coming on Saturday.Li:呃,和你的那位確認一下然後告訴我你週六是否能來。
Neil:I will do, thank you.Neil:我會的。謝謝。