當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 一分鐘英語 第8期:Squeeze Blood out of a Turnip 得不到壓根就沒有的東西

一分鐘英語 第8期:Squeeze Blood out of a Turnip 得不到壓根就沒有的東西

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 9.34K 次

Sometimes, American English does not make any sense.

ing-bottom: 76.09%;">一分鐘英語 第8期:Squeeze Blood out of a Turnip 得不到壓根就沒有的東西
有的時候,美語讓人琢磨不透。

Like if someone says this: You can't squeeze blood out of turnip.

比如有人說:你不能從蘿蔔裏擠出血。(squeeze blood out of turnip)

Vegetables don't have any blood in them... And who is squeezing turnips?

蔬菜可沒有血……那誰又在壓榨蘿蔔呢?

Let's see if we can figure out what it means...

讓我們來聽聽,能否明白這個短語的意思……

Hey, Can you loan me $50.00, I can pay you back on Friday.

嘿,你能借我50刀麼,我週五就還你的。

I wish I could help, but I don't have any money....

我真的希望能幫助你,但是我確實沒有錢……

Are you sure? I really need it.

你確定?我真的很需要。

I understand, but you can't squeeze blood out of turnip.

我明白,但是你不可能從蘿蔔裏擠出血啊。(squeeze blood out of turnip)

You can't squeeze blood from a turnip means you cannot get something from a person that they don't have to give you.

你不能從蘿蔔裏擠出血的意思是你不能從某人那裏得到他們壓根就沒有的東西。

And it's used about money.

這個短語用於錢財方面。

You see, it actually makes sense, because no matter how hard you squeeze a turnip, it will never bleed,

大家看,其實也很好明白的,因爲不論你怎麼壓榨蘿蔔,它也不會流血。

and if somebody does not have any money to give you, you'll never be able to get it.

所以如果某人沒有錢給你,你永遠也得不到。

And that's English in a Minute.

以上就是本期的《 一分鐘英語》。