跟著Gwen學英語之每日早讀 第419期
We took our friends for granted, we stopped listening. They were the last thing we were thinking about, and they should've been the first.
語音講解
今日發音練習重點:
should've /ˈʃʊdəv/
have 縮約讀法 've
母音後讀/v/ you've got a letter.
子音後讀/əv/ I could(ə)'ve gone.
言之有物
1. take XX(something/somebody) for granted 認為…理所當然, 想當然
He took it all for granted, and would never have a clue just how blessed he was.
他認為這一切理所當然,他永遠也不會知道自己多麼幸運。
Family are people we often take for granted.
家人就是可以讓我們經常想當然的人。
拓展:take it for granted that+從句
He just took it for granted that he would pass the exam.
他只是想當然地認為他會通過考試。
2. XX is the last thing we are thinking about XX是我們最後才會想到的
the last thing/person 最後一個XX的=最不會...的
Chad's the last person I would ask for advice.
最後一個詢問建議的人=最不會找Chad詢問建議。
She's the last person I'd expect to meet in a party (=I would not expect to meet her in a party at all).
她是我最不希望在聚會上遇見的人。
3. should have been XX 本應XX 竟然XX (應該就已經...)
You should have reported them to the police.
你應當向警方控告他們的。
I don't think we should have been there in the first place.
我認為我們從一開始就不該在那兒。
The letter should have arrived by now.
信函現在該到達了。