英語口語練習小對話 第905期:AA制
A: There’s a question I’m not sure whether it is suitable to ask.
有個問題,我不知道能不能問。
B: You know that I have no secrets toward you.
你知道我對你可沒什麼保密的。
A: When you go dinner with John, who feets the bill?
你和約翰出去吃飯時,是誰付賬的?
B: Why asking that? It’s often the sort of Dutch treat.
問着幹什麼?一般都是各付各的。
Dutch treat
1. 解詞釋義
Dutch treat是指“(付賬時)各付各的”,也就是我們説的AA制。
2. 拓展範例
e.g. Today we'll have a Dutch treat at the restaurant.
今天在餐館吃飯我們將各自付費。
e.g. Let's about making it a Dutch treat?
我們折中一下吧。各付各的怎麼樣?
e.g. I thought he was treating, but it turned out to be a Dutch treat.
我以為他要請客,但結果是各付各的。
e.g. A Dutch treat can sometimes pull you out of an embarrassing situation.
各自付費有時能使你擺脱窘境。
1. go to dinner with sb.:和……一起吃晚餐
e.g. If we go to dinner with your boss, you're not to talk shop.
要是我們和你老闆一起去吃飯,你可不許談工作。
e.g. It's boring to go out to dinner with a cheapskate.
和小氣鬼一起出門吃飯真沒意思。
2. foot the bill:付賬
e.g. I was in a jam because I didn't have enough money to foot the bill.
我帶的錢不夠付帳,處境很狼狽。
e.g. I suppose Jim will foot the bill, as always.
我想吉姆會像往常一樣付賬的。
3. the sort of:那種
e.g. That's the sort of painting I like: simple, suggestive and uNPRetentious.
我就是喜歡這種畫;樸素,發人深思,而且毫無矯揉造作之感。
e.g. He's not the sort of man who would go back on his word.
他不是那種會食言的人。
3. be suitable to do sth.:做某事恰當
e.g. Would now be a suitable to show the slides?
現在放幻燈片合宜嗎?
e.g. It is not suitable to make a joke at the moment.
現在不宜開玩笑。
There’s a question I’m not sure whether it is suitable to ask.
要點解析:這個是一個含有定語從句的複合句。主句是There’s a question,定語從句是I’m not sure whether it is suitable to ask。先行詞也就是被修飾的詞是question這個名詞,它在定語從句中做ask的賓語,指代物,引導詞可以用that或者which,而且可以省略。
在定語從句中,含有一個由whether引導的補語從句:whether it is suitable to ask,補充説明not sure的的具體內容。