迷你對話學地道口語第275期:不知所措 精神錯亂
迷你對話:
A: Saying you want to kill yourself, you terrified me out of my wits.
你説你要自殺,嚇死我了。
B: I was playing a joke on you.
我跟你開玩笑的。
A: That’s too much.
那也太過分了。
B: Dear, forgive me. I won’t do that again.
親愛的,原諒我,我再也不會那樣了。
地道表達:
out of one’s wits
解詞釋義:
wit的意思是“智力,才智”。從字面意思來看,改習語的意思是“超出某人才智所能及的範圍”,引申為“不知所措”或“精神錯亂”之意。
支持範例:
The child was out of his wits with fright.
那孩子嚇得茫然失措。
Mr. Lin was nearly out of his wits with anxiety. His heart thumped erratically.
林先生急得什麼似的,心是卜卜地亂跳。
Never take me to a horror film again. I was scared out of my wits.
以後再也不要帶我去看恐怖電影, 我簡直被嚇得魂不附體。
You'll drive me out of my wits if you go on behaving in this way.
你再這樣下去真要把我逼瘋了。
詞海拾貝:
play a joke on sb.:開某人的玩笑
範例:Don't play a joke on that old man any more. It's impolite.
要再跟那位老人開玩笑了。這太不禮貌了。
He winks at me to show that he is play a joke on the others.
他向我眨了眨一隻眼, 意思是他正在開別人的玩笑。
One day they decided to play a joke on their professor.
一天他們決定跟這位教授開個玩笑。
One day, the boy decided to play a practical joke on the villagers.
一天,這個男孩想對那些村民來個惡作劇。