《美食祈禱和戀愛》Chapter 72 (157):印度詩二首之一
Two Poems from an Ashram in India
來自印度道場的兩首詩First
第一首All this talk of nectar and bliss is starting to piss me off.
這些甘露天堂的言談開始令我倒胃,
I don't know about you, my friend,
朋友,我不知你的情況,but my path to God ain't no sweet waft of incense.
但通往神的道路對我而言可不芳香,It's a cat set loose in a pigeon pen,
彷彿把貓放入鴿籠,and I'm the cat—
我是那貓——but also them who yell like hell when they get pinned.
也是被釘住而大吼大叫的那些人。My path to God is a worker's uprising,
通往神的道路對我而言是勞工暴動,won't be peace till they unionize.
除非組成工會,否則不得平靜。Their picket is so fearsome the National Guard won't go near them.
這些示威者如此令人生畏,國民警衛隊不敢靠前。My path was beaten unconscious before me,
我的前方道路久經踐踏、失去知覺,by a small brown man I never got to see,
是我未能見到的小棕人所爲,who chased God through India, shin-deep in mud,
他追趕神穿越印度,泥巴及脛,barefoot and famined, malarial blood,
赤腳,缺糧,瘧疾纏身,sleeping in doorways, under bridges—a hobo.
睡在門口、橋下——一個遊民。(Which is short for "homeward bound," you know)
(可知,這是前往返鄉途中的簡稱)And he now chases me, saying: "Got it yet, Liz?
如今他追趕我,說:小莉,懂了沒?What HOMEWARD means? What BOUND really is?"
‘返鄉’是何意?何謂‘前往’的真實意義?